Category Archives: Renewable Energy
Top 5 Best 100 Watt Solar Panels Reviews
When it comes to solar panels, we have different needs in terms of capacity. This is because we have various purposes in what do we need to power up. 100-watt solar panels are known and best used to power up certain vehicles such as boats and RVs. In this article, we will discuss the best 100 watt solar panels for you to know what’s suitable for your needs.
Top 5 Best 100 Watt Solar Panels on the Market
Renogy 100 Watts Solar Panel
Durability and the latest features are the ones that this solar panel is boasting. Its advanced technology will allow you to make use of this solar panel to power up various vehicles and objects. You’ll surely never be dependent on grid power and fuel anymore. This IP67-rated waterproofing solar panel will also have the ability to endure contacts with any liquids without getting destroyed, truly a value for your money. This makes it probably the best 100 watt portable solar panel in the market.
Key Features + Pros:
- Multifunctional. You can use it to power up different vehicles such as boats, RVs, campers, etc. Also, you can use it to bring various electronics to life in a significant amount of time.
- Highly-Durable: It is made of a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame that allows it to withstand extreme weather conditions outdoors. As a result, you’ll never have to worry anymore in case there is a storm or extreme heat outside, as the panels will not deteriorate quickly.
- Enhanced Cell Performance. The panels are made of top of the line cells to ensure that it gets and utilize solar energy well.
- Distributes Heat Well. It has multiple layers of sheet minimization with low iron-tempered glass so that no hot-spot heating incidents will happen.
- Easy to Install. This is because the panel is bracket-ready. You just have to screw it on the place that you will put it with its pre-drilled holes. It is also compatible with various mounting systems just like pole and tilt mounts as long as z-brackets.
- Compact. It does not consume that much space making it perfect for areas with limited spaces.
- The surface of the panel is prone to dirt and a little bit difficult to clean.
Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel
A portable 100 watt solar panel kit is the next big thing this opening decade. They are great in powering up devices that are not too demanding when it comes to energy consumption. This is why you’ll need a Rockpals 100W Foldable Solar Panel. It is portable, reliable, and will not let you down. If you are in search of the smallest 100 watt solar panel then this could be a great choice for you.
Key Features + Pros:
- Converts Energy Well. You do not have to worry anymore about the inefficiency of portable solar panels. This is because this product is efficient and at the same time portable. This is a breakthrough in terms of technology as you can optimize solar energy more to power up your devices.
- Extremely Mobile. You can bring it anywhere you want to when needed. You can use it for picnics and outdoor activities where no grid electricity is present.
- Newest Features Integrated. There are features that you will love when you buy this panel. It has a 3-way USB Smart Charging Technology that will charge your devices while preventing any damage that is due to overloading and excess heat.
- Water Resistant. This makes this solar panel can withstand any kinds of contact with liquids. As a result, you will not have to worry anymore if it is raining outdoors.
- Connectors Included. There are free connectors that come along with the deal. So that when you avail of the panel, you can use it immediately.
- There is no free mounting or kickstand along with the package.
Newpowa 100 Watts 12 Volts Polycrystalline Solar Panel
If you are on a pursuit to find the cheapest 100 watt solar panel then you are in the right place. This solar panel has a combination of affordability and portability. You’ll surely have the ability to power up your devices without any difficulties as this panel features a user-friendly interface. You do not have to worry anymore about being grid-dependent when you are outdoors.
Key Features + Pros:
- Super Compact. You do not have to anxious about bringing it outdoors or installing it on limited spaces. This is because this solar panel is not bulky which can perfectly fit in most areas.
- Extended Warranty: There is a 25-year warranty that the product manufacturer is offering. In this case, you will be protected if there are issues with the panel.
- Versatile. It can withstand any exposure to various temperatures, liquids, etc. As a result, you’ll never have to worry even if you leave it outdoors without any protection.
- Great Design. The nice outer look of this solar panel will allow you to put some extra elegance to yourself while you are using it.
- Durable. It will not breakdown easily because it is made of the finest materials that promise sturdiness.
- There are instances that it does not reach its maximum output potential of 100 watts.
Renogy 100W 12V Monocrystalline 2pcs 50W Solar Panel
If you have a boat and would want to have fun while cruising then you’ll need a source of electricity. This is why Renogy is here to provide you with that. It is considered one of the best solar panels for boats because of its ability to provide sufficient energy source to power up your devices. Let’s try to prove it by discussing more of its features and advantages below.
Key Features + Pros:
- Lightweight. It only weighs 12.8 lb. which is considered light considering that it is a fully-functional solar panel.
- Easy to Carry. This solar panel is completely mobile because it has a heavy-duty handle that will allow you to bring it anywhere you go. This is why portability will not be an issue if you need to have a power source on your outdoor activities.
- Extreme Stability. The aluminum stand will give you the best and stable support of your solar panel. As a result, you’ll never have to worry that the solar panel will not get enough exposure to sunlight.
- Connectors Included. Some connectors are included in this package such as MC4 connectors.
- Sturdy. It is made of heavy-duty materials that guarantee extended lifespan. You will surely never regret buying this as it is a great investment. This is because you can use it for longer periods.
- Extra Accessories. You’ll also get a free casing wherein you can store your solar panel when not in use.
- Although this is one of the best 100 watt RV solar panels in the market right now, it is not waterproof. So you must be aware of the weather when you want to use it outdoors for extended periods.
RICH SOLAR 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panel
If you own an RV then you must have a solar panel that you can use for your travels. This is why you must have this 100-watt solar panel from Rich Solar. Many people are convinced that it is one of the best 100w solar panels right now after trying it on their own. It has features that are one of a kind making it a product that is worth considering having.
Key Features + Pros:
- Quick Installation. There are no complexities in installing this solar panel making you enjoy its benefits as quickly as possible. This is because there are pre-drilled holes that make installation easier than usual.
- Works on Low-Lighting Conditions. You do not have to worry in case the sky is cloudy. This is because this solar panel can retain the accumulated energy efficiently so that you can it anytime you needed.
- Space-Saver. It is compact that is why you can easily bring it on your travels. Aside from that, putting it on limited spaced areas will be no problem at all.
- Highly- Durable. The panels are tempered and coated with an anti-reflective mechanism. This makes it sturdy enough to withstand harsh weather conditions outdoors.
- Warranty. It has an extended warranty of 25 years to ensure that you are protected from any possible circumstances.
- Water-Resistant. It can endure exposure to liquids without getting damaged.
- The outer design is below satisfactory.
What Can I Power with a 100W Solar Panel?
There are several ways wherein you can use a 100w solar panel. They are most commonly used to power up the following:
- Recreational vehicles
- Appliances such as TVs, mini-fridge, etc.
- Lighting systems
- Sound systems
As long as it will not exceed the power output, you can use it anytime you want to. Although, the run time of each device may vary depending on the power requirement that they have.
After we have finished discussing the list of the best 100 watt solar panels, it’s time to choose the top among them. We are choosing the Renogy Solar Panel as the top product. It has all the promising features that you need to enjoy your devices whenever you are traveling. This is why you will not have to depend anymore on grid power. It is definitely the best value that you can have for your money.
Flexible Solar Panels Vs Rigid – Overall Comparison
There is no doubt that solar panels are a growing trend nowadays. This is because of the amazing benefits that it can give to both residential and commercial households. However, there is a huge debate on what’s the best type of solar panel to use. It will always go down to flexible solar panels vs rigid solar panels. Those are the two types that you can choose if you want to have a solar panel system. In this article, we will try our best to make a comparison of them.
Flexible Solar Panels
We can say that they are getting more popular these days. This is because they are more modern and looks super cool. Not only that, but it is also more prevalent as well compared to their rigid counterparts. They can be seen almost everywhere if you will try to shop on solar panel stores. In this part of the article, we will try to determine its advantages.
What are its advantages?
- Flexible solar panels can be easily placed on uneven surfaces. This is because their body is bendable which allows you to place it even in areas with awkward shapes. For example, your roof has areas that are not flat, you’ll not have any difficulties placing it there when necessary.
- They do not consume too much space because it is significantly thinner. As a result, you’ll be able to save space especially if you do not have that much space in your household. Mostly they have the maximum bent capacity of 30 percent which is truly extraordinary.
- They are also easier to install because they are lighter and have simpler mechanisms saving the installer a lot of time and effort when installing.
- It is more responsive to cleaning as it has no hard to reach areas thus you can clean it efficiently and quickly without any hassles.
What are its disadvantages?
Despite its great advantages, you’ll find some negative points on flexible solar panels vs rigid solar panels. We will try to tackle them in detail so that you’ll be able to figure out what to buy soon.
- They are less efficient compared to rigid solar panels. This is because they have thinner panels that can acquire lesser sunlight when necessary. As a result, energy acquisition is compromised.
- They are more expensive compared to their rigid solar panel counterparts. But this is acceptable because the materials that are used in creating them are highly delicate.
- It is more prone to getting damaged because of the thinner components that it has that is why you must handle it with thorough care when using it. Also, always perform proper maintenance on it for it to last longer.
Rigid Solar Panels
When it comes to solar panels, the rigid ones are more popular. This is where the solar panels started and the prototype used in making the more modern flexible solar panels. Despite its being a pioneer in the industry, they are still incomparable in terms of reliability. In this part of the article, we will try to enumerate its advantages and disadvantages.
What are its advantages?
- Rigid solar panels are more durable. Since they have harder casing compared to the flexible ones, they tend to have better durability. They do not deteriorate easily because its body is thick which will help protect the inner components of the panel effectively.
- They have better stability. Since they have more weight and thicker bodies, you can expect that it is more stable most especially on harsh weather conditions. This is why you’ll have peace of mind that it will not get destroyed easily.
- They are more efficient in terms of functionality. Since they have larger and thicker panels, you can expect that they can accumulate more solar energy without having a hard time. As a result, whenever you need off-grid power, it will never let you down as you will have a sufficient supply of electricity.
- These rigid solar panel systems are considerably cheaper compared to the flexible solar panels. This will still depend on the brand and the size of the solar panel that you’ll be buying.
What are its disadvantages?
- Since they have a solidly hard body, you can only place it on even areas or else it will fall or will not perform its functions.
- They are usually space-consuming this is because of its bigger body. This is why you should always consider the area where you will put it. You must consider the space because if it is not enough it might compromise the safety of your solar panels.
Which is better a flexible solar panel or rigid?
Well, the debate regarding this question will continue to run for many years to come. But the answer to this question will still depend on the buyers’ preference. You just have to take note of its advantages against its negative points. In the end, you will know the better choice to make, so you must make use of those points before you buy them.
Now you know the advantages and disadvantages of flexible solar panels vs rigid solar panels. It might be daunting at first to decide what to get but you now know the characteristics of both, you’ll be able to determine the best for you. It will allow you to have more efficient usage of your solar panel systems no matter where you will about to use it.
How Many Watt Solar Panel To Charge Deep Cycle Battery?
The use of solar panels in households is getting popular. This is because of the benefits that you can get from it. But not all its users have the complete knowledge to surely optimize their usage. People just love it mostly because of the freedom that it gives when it comes to having your source of electricity. It is so useful especially in situations wherein there is a power outage in your area. But the question is how many watt solar panel to charge deep cycle battery? Once you already know it you’ll be sure that you get the efficiency that you are looking for.
Why batteries are highly-important in solar panels efficiency?
By not relying completely on grids you’ll surely reach the goal that you want in having an energy-efficient home. In this article, we will prove it to you that a solar panel can work wonders especially if you know the complete details in charging a deep cycle battery.
This is because batteries are where the energy acquired is stored and it is only fair if you’ll use the one with fully-functional components. As a result, you’ll surely get the sufficient energy you need in case there is a power outage in your place.
The thing is for you to know if the battery will be efficient is by knowing more info about its batteries. This is why we have decided to write this article to you regarding deep cycle batteries.
Some professionals use second-hand forklift batteries because they are more cost-friendly and has huge energy storage. This is why knowing the watt requirement of a deep cycle battery charging is truly important. It will help you gain a very useful and efficient solar panel system in no time.
Learning the Calculation Process
Calculating the solar power requirements is easier than you think; you must just be keen on details. This will help you get results that are précised to your energy needs. So you’ll surely run your entire household with off-grid power without problems.
There is a formula that is used to calculate it. The battery’s storage capacity is the primary way that is needed to obtain a highly-efficient solar panel system.
The battery storage will be determined by the use of Ampere hours which will be turned into Watt-hours. Then it will be multiplied to the voltage. That is the main explanation for the formula beneath:
Power (Wh) = AH x Battery voltage
For example, you possessed a 20 Ah capacity 12v battery. You can transform its capacity using that formula into Wh. So if you will get the answer it would be 240 Wh for the given example above.
However, the energy stored goes down over time that is why you need to use it. You must also be mindful that every appliance has a voltage requirement and to run them they must reach the adequate voltage required.
How to know the voltage requirement of appliances?
It is essential to know the individual pieces of appliances that you have on your home. By doing so, you’ll be able to have an estimate of how much battery power you’ll need. Aside from the mere power numerically, we will also have an idea of how long will they last if an off-grid situation happens such as power outages.
The formula is pretty simple and can be computed easily. You will just need to follow the given formula below.
Wh = Watts x Hours of Use
The watt-hours signify the appliance that you will be using. The computation can be done in just a few seconds but you must compute the appliance individually which is the one that consumes more time.
Also, the rating of the solar panel can be calculated. This will help you know if it can supply sufficient power to your appliance. The formula explains that you have to multiply the generated power of the panel by the amount of time it was exposed to solar energy.
Energy generated = power rating of a solar panel (watts) x time exposure (hours)
One concrete example is if you have a 10w power rating and it has a 6-hour exposure to the sun’s rays. You can multiply it to each other which will give a product of 60 Wh.
The Wattage Needed for Battery Charging
Now the big question is the wattage requirement for battery charging. With the factors that we have discussed a while ago, we can be able to determine that. The computation is very doable as it can be understood by normal people like us.
The prior step that you must undertake is by knowing the Ah or amp per hour of the panels and dividing it to the energy rating by the battery’s voltage. You should put up 10 percent charging time on the result. To make things simpler, the formula is given below.
Average charging time = max capacity of the battery (Ah) / Solar panel’s amp rating + 10% Charging time
It is quite complicated at first to compute for how many watt solar panel to charge deep cycle battery but if you will just use the formulas we gave a while ago it is possible. You’ll just have to find out the numeric factors correctly to get accurate results. Lastly, what can you get, by knowing the computation? You can buy reconditioned batteries for a low cost without compromising results thus giving you the grid freedom that you always wanted.
How to Use Solar Panels During Power Outage?
Aside from cost-saving capabilities, solar panels do have a lot of advantages. Most especially when there is a power interruption, they can be your lifesaver. In this article, we will discuss the topic of how to use solar panels during a power outage.
Why solar panels can be beneficial in power outages?
There is a significant advantage of using solar panels as your primary or even your secondary source of electricity. This is because they can continuously supply you with electricity despite outages. So on those types of situations having a solar panel is an advantage.
How will you use them?
You’ll need to know the basics for you to use the solar panels correctly on a power outage. This will ensure that no power will be wasted on the process which is mandatory in times that the conventional power isn’t present at the moment.
Usually, power outages happen when there is an onset of a natural calamity such as the following:
- Extreme snow
So most probably you must expect that power outages might occur anytime. There will be two scenarios either you’ll just endure the blackout or get yourself powered by your solar panels.
Things can get tricky because people have a misconception regarding solar panels. They thought that once you already have the panels installed, you’ll be automatically invincible from power outages. The answer is definitely NO. This is because you’ll need to have sufficiently stored solar energy for it to be efficient especially on lengthened periods of blackouts.
You Have Options
Well, it only comes to your options. Some households don’t contain a battery storage system because they are directly linked to the power grid. This is not the system that you want to have if you are aiming to have a good back up electricity for power outages. This is because the energy travels back to the power grid which only means that you’ll not be able to use it separately. As a result, when power outages strike then you’ll run out of power soon.
Net Metering: Why it is not advisable?
What we have talked about a while ago is net metering and it is simply not advisable if you want to be secured from power outages. Although it is proven to save satisfactory amounts of energy, it remains very impractical.
What you must do instead?
The next thing that you must do is to ensure that your solar system panel has a battery. This will help store extra energy that can be used well for power outages. But be mindful of the maximum capacity of the battery because everything is still reliant on it on how long it can supply you with electricity when a blackout happens.
Another option is for you to have an inverter system. It will allow you to utilize some solar power while the grid is still down. Although, this is only applicable for short term outages as it cannot handle a tremendous amount of power requirement.
If you are in an area wherein power outages usually do not last long then inverters are the way to go. You’ll be able to charge a significant amount of devices and use some of your appliances as well at a minimum.
What’s more efficient?
Well, it depends on the factors that you have in mind. If the budget is a factor for you then integrating a battery on your solar panel system will never be possible for you because it is extremely pricey. It is extremely comfortable to use and perfect for commercial spaces.
On the other hand, if you will just use it in your home then it is practical to use the inverter type. It is not only cost-efficient but will perform all the necessary things that will keep you ready whenever a power outage happens.
So it only denotes that off-grid solar panel systems which are composed of battery and inverter type systems can store solar energy. While on the other hand, the grid-reliant solar panel systems use the electricity directly on the spot upon receiving them without storing it for off-grid use. It only means that everything that runs on the system is already for disposal and any extra will be sent back to the grid.
Piece of Advice
After choosing the right type of off-grid systems to integrate on your solar panel, you’ll need to choose the brand correctly. You must read reviews only and do some research before you buy a particular brand. This will help you determine if that off-grid system will give you all that it promised. If so, you’ll get the best value for your money.
Good-quality brands usually last for a long time compared to the substandard counterparts. So you must choose the best one to ensure that it will meet or even exceed your expectations.
After discussing how to use solar panels during a power outage we have proven that you have two choices. You can either use an inverter or battery type. It just all depends on your capacity and needs. But the most important thing is, neither of the two will both help you to prevent the inconvenience of power outages.
Keep in mind that power outages happen from time to time that is why you must be ready. One way of being ready is by deciding what off-grid system that you’ll buy. It is one step away from powering your homes up even on untoward circumstances.